Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Random: My Current Reading

I should be asleep....and yet, I am not. I have to get up for work in 5 hours...yes, 5 hours....but here I am...awake. I just posted a quote that touched my heart. I read this quote on the first page of a new book I am going to read. It's titled "ME" - author: Ricky Martin. (Thank you Santa)

I am very proud of Ricky Martin for taking the journey and coming out publicly. On the back of his book he says "Writing this book allowed me to explore the different paths and experiences that have led me to be who I am today. I've had to tie up loose ends that I'd never attempted to tie up before, to work deeply into memories that were already erased from my mind. Allowing myself to do this was not easy, but once I started, an incredible spiritual healing began."

One person praising him for his book states "In the process of revealing the human being behind the artist, Ricky Martin offers us a testimony of exemplary honesty and greatness of soul. While I was reading, I remembered a verse from a Persian poet Hafez - Not even seven thousand years of joy can justify seven years of repression. - Paulo Coelho

I am excited to share in Ricky Martin's journey. I will keep you all posted, as I have a feeling it will be a book I will highly recommend.

I'm also half way through Chely Wright's Book "Like Me" - I am also very proud of her for having the courage to be the very first out Nashville country music star! Her story is amazing and very touching. I DO highly recommend this book.

The next book on the list is Portia DeGeneres' book: Unbearable Lightness (which Santa gave to Missy) We both saw Portia interviewed on Oprah and on Ellen - and it sounds like her honesty within this book is going to touch so many lives. She shares about her journey with anorexia and also about her fear of being found out - regarding the fact that she was (is) gay. She is brutally transparent and shares about the thought process that many don't dare talk about. I am proud of her too...what courage!

It's amazing for me to be able to say that these 3 authors are gay, very famous, public figures - who in sharing their own stories, will touch many lives...but also it seems, that they have all found incredible healing and freedom.

Thank you Ricky, Chely and Portia. I am so glad you found your path and have chosen to step into your truth and are finding freedom and restoration. May we all be as courageous in our daily lives. May we be transparent. May we speak of the difficult things people don't dare discuss - but that will help people to know they are NOT alone. May we reveal our true selves even when the fear of rejection knocks constantly on our door. May we risk it all - as you 3 have done, knowing that even if we lost it all - the journey of finding ourselves and standing in truth will be worth the cost.

May we all share our journey and our stories with others - and know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it WILL have an impact. We are all human. We all want to be known and loved and accepted. We can all relate to feeling alone and rejected.

In that - that human experience - we are all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment